Monday, November 18, 2013

Stereo Types

Most people like to believe that they know stereo types are bad. In fact I don't know a single person who doesn't think that people should't "judge a book by its cover" or whatever other fun quote and saying you can think of. But the truth is that almost everybody does it.

The definition of stereo type is a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or ideal of a particular type of person or thing. Well trust me, my friends and I are constantly the subjects of Stereo Types.

The reason I want to wright this post is to call out all the adults out there who think they know everything about us kids. I was inspired to write this because after school today my friends Audrey, Courtney, and I went down to 7 eleven to get some peace tea and sour patch kids. Before heading down to the gas station we stopped by the high school to drop off all our shit. Well, we always go through the entrance of the auditorium. This entrance opens up into a big lobby where there is this giant statue of what is supposed to be a dude playing the guitar and one amazing grand piano. 

Well today there was a Ted Talk at the auditorium and there were all these volunteers cleaning up after the event. We walked in, me in my panda hat, Courtney with her freshly dyed bright blue hair, and Audrey just being her awkward self. 

I could tell what they were thinking as soon as they looked at us. They looked at Courtney, and I could see it in their eyes; they saw a girl that was obviously going to amount to nothing in life and drop out of high school. It pissed me off to see them judging her. But Courtney doesn't care. She is a individual that doesn't give a fuck about what anybody else thinks because she knows she perfect. But stupid judgmental adults don't see us that way. 

Now at this point Audrey had gone down to the band room put her stuff away and I had given her my stuff to take with because frankly I am just too damn lazy to walk down there myself. So I stayed in the lobby with Courtney. If you haven't read Courtney's blog (which I linked above) you should because you will discover that she is an extremely gifted person. 

Dat girl can make a deaf man cry with her piano playing. 

She is literally one of the most amazing piano players I have ever heard, including professionals that I would have hear in the media. And when she sees a piano she just has to share her gift with everybody. She ran to the piano, the judgmental adults watching, and sat down on the bench. 

She set her fingers down on the keys, they were still blue from hair dye, and began to play. I think I may have enjoyed it a little to much as I watched there condescending eyes widen as they listened to the wonderful music that Courtney was making. 

In my head I was just thinking "Hah! Suck it" It was so perfect. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I broke stereotypes by being. . . my awkward self -_-

    ReplyDelete